Monday, September 23, 2013

Day 8 - Windsor Castle, and Jack the Ripper

Today was an early day so we could catch the train out to Windsor Castle. We put our faith in the hands of the nice ticket man, who gave us a deal - buy 2 get 1 free - and sent us to Platform 11. After waiting 10 minutes on Platform 11 - completely alone and with no train - it was a good thing we came to our senses... we had to run to Platform 13 in order to not miss our train!  It was not just 2 platforms away, it was in a different section. I was booking it (shoes on this time), and yelling to Craig and Reene we need to hurry!  We made it with 10 seconds to spare!

We thought our itinerary today was to have brunch with HM The Queen but she must have not gotten the memo because supposedly she is in Scotland - which we sadly realized when we arrived and her flag was not flying atop her castle. Though I am quite certain I have a pix of her and Philip entering the chapel for their private Sunday service:-)  We made the best of the change in plans by touring the Dollhouse, State Rooms, and grounds. We took obligatory pictures with the guard. He is only allowed to do 2 things on his 2-hr shift: switch gun arms or take a walk. If you get too close to him - in his personal space - he will employ one of his options. 


Back in London Craig and I went for a 4 mile run to Camden Market (crazy busy on a Sunday). It is a beer <read "never">  (I am leaving "beer" because I love when Siri auto corrects my words to say beer) ending market of food, stores and stalls. I can never figure out which direction the cars are coming from - being that they are on the wrong side, and I never know when it is a one way road - but even more dangerous are the bikers. One ran into me very hard on the run :'(

We ate dinner in Chinatown - very fresh yummy noodles! There are quite the crowds walking down Oxford Street, through Soho, and into Chinatown.
Making dumplings at Jen's Cafe 

Our day ended with a walking tour of the East End - featuring Jack the Ripper. A serial killer in 1888, he "muuh-duh'ed" (I love the way they say murder) 5 prostitutes. Molly's information was factual and dry. IMHO go with someone other than her. 

Tomorrow I fly back across The Pond - back to home and my real life. Separate from missing my family, I am greatly saddened to leave Europe. I feel like this is where I belong, and cannot wait to return again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment