Thursday, September 19, 2013

Day 5 - Arrival to London

So glad that the final morning with the car ended successfully!  Stress-free, no traffic drive into London (Heathrow), and only hit one more curb. (Glad to hear from a local that he hits the curbs when he goes to the U.S.) Best news of all, no damages to report on the rental ... Apparently the front hubcap was already all scratched up by the last Non-UK renter ;-)

I took the tube from the airport into town. I had to pick up some tickets we are using the next few days. Then I took a quick peek at the changing of the guard ceremonies - really only the one at the Horse Guard.  I was almost to the roundabout intersection of the Victoria Memorial right in front of Buckingham Palace, where their guard change was starting, but I had to turn towards the tube station instead ... I was already late to meet Craig and Reene at the train station.  They are my new travel companions as mom has left me high and dry for her fancy Tauck tour. 


At Kings Cross train station we had to go to Platform 9 3/4 for a picture of us pushing the suitcase trolley through the brick wall. The pix came out great but I can't include it because I don't have one from my phone. 

It started to rain on the way to the hotel- the ritzy Langham - and continued all afternoon. This place is no fun in the rain. But it was perfect timing to spend a couple hours in the British Museum. We saw lots of really really old things. 

In the evening we went to see the play War Horse. It's a great story with impressive puppetry, and gave me a fondness for horses that I never had before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment